Quantcast

Cxx plugin | Valgrind Report Not Displayed

Cxx plugin | Valgrind Report Not Displayed

ashish
Hi All,

I have a very simple C++ program which I am building using Jenkins (via shellscript). In shell script I have following command to generate valgrind error report:
           valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full --show-reachable=no --undef-value-errors=no --xml=yes --xml-file=valgrind-result.xml ./helloworld

This generates the attached valgrind error report (valgrind-result.xml).

Then in the Sonar plugin for Jenkins I set the following property :
   sonar.cxx.valgrind.reportPath=valgrind-result.xml.

After doing the above steps I run the build and once its successful, I do NOT see any report in the project Sonar dashboard.
Question: 1. What is wrong, in the logs I see the following:
            15:41:11.875 INFO  p.PhasesTimeProfiler - Sensor CxxValgrindSensor...
            15:41:11.875 DEBUG            CxxPlugin - Using pattern 'valgrind-result.xml' to find reports
            15:41:11.876 INFO             CxxPlugin - Processing report '/home/anishs00/installs/jenkins/jobs/testCppHello/workspace/valgrind-result.xml'
            15:41:11.918 INFO  p.PhasesTimeProfiler - Sensor CxxValgrindSensor done: 43 ms

Question: 2 Do I need to enable some additional widget in Sonar dashboard to view the report,

Regards,
Ashish

valgrind-result.xml (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Cxx plugin | Valgrind Report Not Displayed

Waleri Enns
Hi Ashish,

I suspect your build doesnt contain debugging information. Can you check
it please?

Cheers,
--
Waleri

On 08/09/2012 01:20 PM, ashish vashishta wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a very simple C++ program which I am building using Jenkins (via
> shellscript). In shell script I have following command to generate
> valgrind error report:
>             valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full
> --show-reachable=no --undef-value-errors=no --xml=yes
> --xml-file=valgrind-result.xml ./helloworld
>
> This generates the attached valgrind error report (valgrind-result.xml).
>
> Then in the Sonar plugin for Jenkins I set the following property :
>     sonar.cxx.valgrind.reportPath=valgrind-result.xml.
>
> After doing the above steps I run the build and once its successful, I
> do NOT see any report in the project Sonar dashboard.
> Question: 1. What is wrong, in the logs I see the following:
>              15:41:11.875 INFO  p.PhasesTimeProfiler - Sensor
> CxxValgrindSensor...
>              15:41:11.875 DEBUG            CxxPlugin - Using pattern
> 'valgrind-result.xml' to find reports
>              15:41:11.876 INFO             CxxPlugin - Processing report
> '/home/anishs00/installs/jenkins/jobs/testCppHello/workspace/valgrind-result.xml'
>              15:41:11.918 INFO  p.PhasesTimeProfiler - Sensor
> CxxValgrindSensor done: 43 ms
>
> Question: 2 Do I need to enable some additional widget in Sonar
> dashboard to view the report,
>

> Regards,
> Ashish

Re: Cxx plugin | Valgrind Report Not Displayed

ashish
Hi Waleri,

Thanks. debugging information was indeed missing. After adding it and running sonar-runner command I was able to see the valgrind report results in Sonar Dashboard.

But I am still not able to view the valgrind report when I execute the process via Jenkins plugin - "Invoke Standalone Sonar Analysis".

In both scenarios I am using same project and same project settings.

sonar.projectVersion=0.1_R1_B121
sonar.projectKey=HelloWorld_CPP
sonar.projectName=HelloWorld_CPP
sources=/home/anishs00/installs/jenkins/jobs/testCppHello/workspace
binaries=/home/anishs00/installs/jenkins/jobs/testCppHello/workspace
sonar.build-stability.url=Hudson:http://192.168.21.32:8080/jenkins/job/testCppHello
sonar.build-stability.days=10
sonar.build-stability.username.secured=super
sonar.build-stability.password.secured=hsc321
sonar.scm.enabled=false
sonar.scm.url=scm:https://192.168.21.32/svn/repos/testCppHello
sonar.scm.user.secured=hscuser
sonar.scm.password.secured=hsc321
sonar.scm.threadCount=4
sonar.build-stability.url=Hudson:http://192.168.21.32:8080/jenkins/job/testCppHello
sonar.language=c++
sonar.dynamicAnalysis=reuseReports
sonar.cxx.gcovr.reportPath=gcov-report.xml
sonar.cxx.valgrind.reportPath=valgrind-result.xml

Any idea ?

Regards,
Ashish

On 08/10/2012 11:21 AM, avashishta wrote:

> Hi Waleri,
>
> Thanks. debugging information was indeed missing. After adding it and
> running sonar-runner command I was able to see the valgrind report results
> in Sonar Dashboard.
>
> But I am still not able to view the valgrind report when I execute the
> process via Jenkins plugin - "Invoke Standalone Sonar Analysis".
>
> In both scenarios I am using same project and same project settings.
>
> sonar.projectVersion=0.1_R1_B121
> sonar.projectKey=HelloWorld_CPP
> sonar.projectName=HelloWorld_CPP
> sources=/home/anishs00/installs/jenkins/jobs/testCppHello/workspace
> binaries=/home/anishs00/installs/jenkins/jobs/testCppHello/workspace
> sonar.build-stability.url=Hudson:http://192.168.21.32:8080/jenkins/job/testCppHello
> sonar.build-stability.days=10
> sonar.build-stability.username.secured=super
> sonar.build-stability.password.secured=hsc321
> sonar.scm.enabled=false
> sonar.scm.url=scm:https://192.168.21.32/svn/repos/testCppHello
> sonar.scm.user.secured=hscuser
> sonar.scm.password.secured=hsc321
> sonar.scm.threadCount=4
> sonar.build-stability.url=Hudson:http://192.168.21.32:8080/jenkins/job/testCppHello
> sonar.language=c++
> sonar.dynamicAnalysis=reuseReports
> sonar.cxx.gcovr.reportPath=gcov-report.xml
> sonar.cxx.valgrind.reportPath=valgrind-result.xml
>
> Any idea ?

Uhmm... Maybe. Another thing which may prevent the valgrind violations
from showing up is path mismatch. Since valgrind uses absolute paths in
his reports the sonar-plugin would fail to locate the violations when
the project is:
- moved around in FS between the the valgrind running step and
sonar-runner-invocation.
- analysed from an other machine where projects directory is mounted on
different place.

I quess it would be useful to have more logging there to detect such
cases. In next version...

> Regards,
> Ashish

Re: Cxx plugin | Valgrind Report Not Displayed

Rella
Would you please give me the detail about '- moved around in FS between the the valgrind running step and sonar-runner-invocation.' ?
I met the same problem. Sonar server didn't show the valgrind violations and the reason should be path mismatch. I don't know how to resolve it.

Waleri Enns wrote

On 11/14/2012 08:51 AM, Rella wrote:
> Would you please give me the detail about '- moved around in FS between the
> the valgrind running step and sonar-runner-invocation.' ?
> I met the same problem. Sonar server didn't show the valgrind violations and
> the reason should be path mismatch. I don't know how to resolve it.

+1 for reading mail list archives ;)

with "moved around ..." I mean something like:

1) cd project
2) valgrind <your program> <params> ... > report.xml
3) cd ..; mv project <somewhere_else>
4) cd <somewhere_else>/project; sonar-runner

If that looks far-fetched to you: that actually happens in practice
sometimes. And we cannot handle such situation because of valgrind using
absolute paths in the reports.

> Waleri Enns wrote
>> Uhmm... Maybe. Another thing which may prevent the valgrind violations
>> from showing up is path mismatch. Since valgrind uses absolute paths in
>> his reports the sonar-plugin would fail to locate the violations when
>> the project is:
>> - moved around in FS between the the valgrind running step and
>> sonar-runner-invocation.
>> - analysed from an other machine where projects directory is mounted on
>> different place.
>>
>> I quess it would be useful to have more logging there to detect such
>> cases. In next version...
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Ashish
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>>       http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

>>      http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Cxx plugin | Valgrind Report Not Displayed

Rella
If we just do:
1) cd project
2) valgrind ../../xxx/xxx/<your program> <params> ... > report.xml
3) sonar-runner

It would be OK?

Waleri Enns wrote

On 11/14/2012 09:40 AM, Rella wrote:
> If we just do:
> 1) cd project
> 2) valgrind ../../xxx/xxx/<your program> <params> ... > report.xml
> 3) sonar-runner
>
> It would be OK?

yes, it would be.

> Waleri Enns wrote
>> On 11/14/2012 08:51 AM, Rella wrote:
>>> Would you please give me the detail about '- moved around in FS between
>>> the
>>> the valgrind running step and sonar-runner-invocation.' ?
>>> I met the same problem. Sonar server didn't show the valgrind violations
>>> and
>>> the reason should be path mismatch. I don't know how to resolve it.
>>
>> +1 for reading mail list archives ;)
>>
>> with "moved around ..." I mean something like:
>>
>> 1) cd project
>> 2) valgrind
>> <your program>
>>
>> <params>
>>   ... > report.xml
>> 3) cd ..; mv project
>> <somewhere_else>
>> 4) cd
>> <somewhere_else>
>> /project; sonar-runner
>>
>> If that looks far-fetched to you: that actually happens in practice
>> sometimes. And we cannot handle such situation because of valgrind using
>> absolute paths in the reports.
>>

>>> Waleri Enns wrote

>>> --
>>>
>>>       http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

>>      http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Cxx plugin | Valgrind Report Not Displayed

Rella
I must run valgrind under my project directory. Then I got the report like this:
"<frame>
      <ip>0x8B8D116</ip>
      <obj>/home/OC/SP/YAN/RTE/YAN/PackageRoot/NDMSQLite/Library/libNDMSQLite.so
</obj>
      <fn>NDM_AccessSQLite::exec(AFC::Str&, sqlite3_stmt**)</fn>
      <dir>/home/leo/svn/UDR01.00.xx/NDMSQLite/build/RHEL50/build/../../../Sourc
e/NDM_AccessSQLite</dir>
      <file>NDM_AccessSQLite.c</file>
      <line>838</line>
    </frame>
"

How to run sonar-runner to locate the violation?

Waleri Enns wrote
On 11/14/2012 09:40 AM, Rella wrote:
> If we just do:
> 1) cd project
> 2) valgrind ../../xxx/xxx/<your program> <params> ... > report.xml
> 3) sonar-runner
>
> It would be OK?

yes, it would be.