Quantcast

End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

Freddy Mallet
Hi Guys,

Just want to notify the community that we've finally decided to drop the support of Tomcat : http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-4577

I know that some of you are deploying SonarQube on Tomcat servers in production and so will be directly impacted and disturbed by such decision and I'm sorry about that. So why have we decided to stop supporting a so popular Java Web container ?

We currently provide and support two different ways to run a SonarQube server in production : the standalone mode and the WAR mode (only compatible with Tomcat). We've learned during the past years that supporting two different environments in production is a kind of anti-pattern for the two following reasons :
  • The time and energy consumed on infrastructure issues can't be invested to develop some expected end-user features
  • Supporting several production environments is the best way to not support correctly any of them
So even if this decision will be painful for some of you at short term, in the long term we expect this decision to help us delivering even more value to the end-users and increasing the user experience.

Thanks for your understanding

++

-----
SonarQube for Continuous Inspection

RE: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

jpfayolle

Hello Freddy,

I understand that ‘Standalone mode’ is the one described here : http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Running+SonarQube+as+a+Service+on+Windows ?

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre FAYOLLE

www.qualilogy.com

[...]

Comprobado por AVG - www.avg.com
Versión: 2013.0.3392 / Base de datos de virus: 3211/6588 - Fecha de publicación: 08/18/13

Re: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Yes for Windows service.
The full installation guide for the Standalone mode is detailed at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Installing+SonarQube.

  Sign up to our newsletter here!

On 19 August 2013 10:58, Jean-Pierre Fayolle <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Freddy,

I understand that ‘Standalone mode’ is the one described here : http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Running+SonarQube+as+a+Service+on+Windows ?

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre FAYOLLE

www.qualilogy.com

RE: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

jpfayolle

Thanks.

I was looking for the wrapper.conf options (indicated in this page).

Best regards,

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre FAYOLLE

www.qualilogy.com

Re: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

Steffen Breitbach
Hi Freddy!

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 11:18 +0200, Freddy Mallet wrote:
> Just want to notify the community that we've finally decided to drop
> the support of Tomcat : http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-4577

That is most unfortunate for us. However, I understand your motivation.

Do you have any experiences in running a "standalone" Sonar behind an
Apache HTTP with mod_proxy? Will it work?

Regards
  Steffen

Re: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

Evgeny Mandrikov

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Steffen Breitbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Freddy!

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 11:18 +0200, Freddy Mallet wrote:
> Just want to notify the community that we've finally decided to drop
> the support of Tomcat : http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-4577

That is most unfortunate for us. However, I understand your motivation.

Do you have any experiences in running a "standalone" Sonar behind an
Apache HTTP with mod_proxy? Will it work?

Regards
  Steffen

Re: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

bala nageswar chadalavada
Hi Evgeny.

Do we need take care of any thing?

1) we have installed Jenkins on RHEL5 and SONAR 3.3 verion on same server
2) apache tomact with 7.0.33 version

do i need do some changes on this

thanks
bala

Bala.ch

Re: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

Evgeny Mandrikov
Please read the link, which I provided. And only after that if something is unclear ask precise question on what was unclear.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM, bala nageswar Chadalavada <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Evgeny.

Do we need take care of any thing?

1) we have installed Jenkins on RHEL5 and SONAR 3.3 verion on same server
2) apache tomact with 7.0.33 version

do i need do some changes on this

thanks
bala

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Steffen Breitbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Freddy!

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 11:18 +0200, Freddy Mallet wrote:
> Just want to notify the community that we've finally decided to drop
> the support of Tomcat : http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-4577

That is most unfortunate for us. However, I understand your motivation.

Do you have any experiences in running a "standalone" Sonar behind an
Apache HTTP with mod_proxy? Will it work?

Regards
  Steffen

Bala.ch

Re: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

hgomez
This is a very bad news, and I just discovered it (listening LesCastcodeurs podcast).

It will broke Sonar packaged in Devops-Incubator, https://github.com/hgomez/devops-incubator/tree/master/rpm-packaging/mysonar, but worst, it will broke the way we deploy and manage Sonar at works (using RPM).
We standardized around Tomcat for many reasons, service scripts, monitoring, alerting, and it will be costly to reworks this for Jetty / Sonar.

2013/8/21 Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]>
Please read the link, which I provided. And only after that if something is unclear ask precise question on what was unclear.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM, bala nageswar Chadalavada <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Evgeny.

Do we need take care of any thing?

1) we have installed Jenkins on RHEL5 and SONAR 3.3 verion on same server
2) apache tomact with 7.0.33 version

do i need do some changes on this

thanks
bala

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Steffen Breitbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Freddy!

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 11:18 +0200, Freddy Mallet wrote:
> Just want to notify the community that we've finally decided to drop
> the support of Tomcat : http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-4577

That is most unfortunate for us. However, I understand your motivation.

Do you have any experiences in running a "standalone" Sonar behind an
Apache HTTP with mod_proxy? Will it work?

Regards
  Steffen

Bala.ch

Re: End of support of Tomcat is planned for SonarQube 4.1 (end of October)

pnnp

we work in a restricted environments on client provided m/c.
In those m/c we dont have Admin rights and are unable to run the sonarqubbe as service on windows.

Pls let us know any other options .

Thx.