Quantcast

[Feature] Differential views of drill-down

[Feature] Differential views of drill-down

gfournols
Hi,

I think the differential views is an essential part of the tool since it allows to quickly drill-down to the recently introduced problems.

To ease the access to these views an hyperlink could be directly set on the diff number of the Violations widget appending the current period in the URL as it is already done for the  priority:

An interesting feature would be to have the same kind of differential views for Unit Tests. The period is not available at all currently in the Unit Test drill-down page, even if by appending the period to the URL it somehow appears even if the drill-down until Class level is not avaible, for instance you can try with :
http://nemo.sonarsource.org/drilldown/measures/219971?metric=test_errors&period=1

Regards,
Guillaume Fournols

Re: [Feature] Differential views of drill-down

Freddy Mallet
Hi Guillaume,

I think the differential views is an essential part of the tool since it
allows to quickly drill-down to the recently introduced problems.

I fully agree, this is one of the most valuable features in Sonar and this is a mandatory feature when you really want to manage your technical debt on a daily basis.

To ease the access to these views an hyperlink could be directly set on the
diff number of the Violations widget appending the current period in the URL
as it is already done for the  priority:
http://sonar.15.n6.nabble.com/file/n4660187/screen.jpg

Too late this has been done in Sonar 2.14 :-) http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-3081

Inline image 2

An interesting feature would be to have the same kind of differential views
for Unit Tests. The period is not available at all currently in the Unit
Test drill-down page, even if by appending the period to the URL it somehow
appears even if the drill-down until Class level is not avaible, for
instance you can try with :
http://nemo.sonarsource.org/drilldown/measures/219971?metric=test_errors&period=1

In fact we don't allow to drilldown on any kind of differential view measure (but only on violations) because the differential view measures are not available at file level so in your case the drilldown wouldn't allow to go to the source code and this would generate lot of frustration. That's the only reason.

Guillaume Fournols

Re: [Feature] Differential views of drill-down

gfournols
Hi Freddy,

Thanks a lot for your reply, and sorry that it took me so much time to answer.

Regarding the drill down for violations, we are still using 2.13 in our company, but I would be more than happy to use this new feature in the coming future since it perfectly matches our need.

Regarding your remark about drill-down for other measures than violations, I completely agree with the user frustration, but is it not imaginable to be able to drill-down until file level ? Is it a problem due to missing data in the DataBase or just a matter of implementation ?

In the last case we could imagine to open a ticket for that feature no ?

Thanks a lot for your work and support !

Regards,
Guillaume

Re: [Feature] Differential views of drill-down

Freddy Mallet
Hi Guillaume,

Regarding your remark about drill-down for other measures than violations, I
completely agree with the user frustration, but is it not imaginable to be
able to drill-down until file level ? Is it a problem due to missing data in
the DataBase or just a matter of implementation ?

In fact, from a technical point of view, everything is already in place but computing differential measures at file level would mean not purging past measures at file level and this would lead to a huge increase of the amount of data stored in the Sonar DB.

In the last case we could imagine to open a ticket for that feature no ?

Ticket already exists, feel free to vote for it : http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-2196