Quantcast

Including ID in FxCop rule name

Nemergut, Vladimir

Hi,

Would it be possible to include ID in the FxCop rule name?

For example:

FxCop rule: Abstract types should not have constructors (FxCop10)

Can be something  like: CA1012 - Abstract types should not have constructors (FxCop10)

Or even if not included in the rule name, but it can be shown along the name on all places.

Regards,

nemo

Re: Including ID in FxCop rule name

Fabrice Bellingard-4
Hi Nemo,

this could be possible to include the ID in the description of the rule (we prefer to not put it in the name, as it doesn't have any functional meaning). However, as this is a long and tedious task, could you explain why you'd like to have those IDs available?

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Nemergut, Vladimir <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Would it be possible to include ID in the FxCop rule name?

For example:

FxCop rule: Abstract types should not have constructors (FxCop10)

Can be something  like: CA1012 - Abstract types should not have constructors (FxCop10)

Or even if not included in the rule name, but it can be shown along the name on all places.

Regards,

nemo

RE: Including ID in FxCop rule name

Nemergut, Vladimir

Hi Fabrice,

I’d like to have this just for a quick reference ;) It is always easier to use ID when talking about some rules instead of the whole name. We have many rules enabled in our quality profile.

“long and tedious task” -> I can provide you the tool to regenerate the configuration file built in FxCop plugin ;)

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Nemergut, Vladimir <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Fabrice,

I’d like to have this just for a quick reference ;) It is always easier to use ID when talking about some rules instead of the whole name. We have many rules enabled in our quality profile.

“long and tedious task” -> I can provide you the tool to regenerate the configuration file built in FxCop plugin ;)

Are you talking about a tool that would generate this file?

Regards,

nemo

RE: Including ID in FxCop rule name

Nemergut, Vladimir

Yes, this one. Because I suppose this file needs to be changed if we want to have ID in description ;)

Re: Including ID in FxCop rule name

Fabrice Bellingard-4
Great. In which language is written your tool?

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Nemergut, Vladimir <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, this one. Because I suppose this file needs to be changed if we want to have ID in description ;)

RE: Including ID in FxCop rule name

Nemergut, Vladimir

C#. But don’t worry, it is 116 lines of code long only ;) And it supports both standard FxCop rules as well as Phoenix engine based ones. Check the attachment for Dataflow.dll Phoenix based rules.

dataflow.xml (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Including ID in FxCop rule name

Fabrice Bellingard-4
Looks good! :) If you could move the rule ID into the description (and not in the rule name), that would be perfect. For instance, at the end of each description, you could add a new blank line followed by something like "For reference, rule ID is XXXXXX".

OK, so here's what would be great - if that's OK for you:
  • you could share your 116-line long program in a GitHub repository, so that we would be able to have the sources somewhere
  • you could also generate the XML ruleset file (like the one you've just sent) for Phoenix based rules, and put it in this GitHub repository
  • and you could explain how to proceed to activate those rules (= the explanations you gave us) in a "README.md" file in the root folder of your GitHub repository (like this one for the C# plugins repo for instance).
Then, I would add an entry in the FAQ of the documentation to point to your GitHub repository, and people would therefore be able to follow your instructions to use Phoenix based rules.

Does that sound good to you?

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Nemergut, Vladimir <[hidden email]> wrote:

C#. But don’t worry, it is 116 lines of code long only ;) And it supports both standard FxCop rules as well as Phoenix engine based ones. Check the attachment for Dataflow.dll Phoenix based rules.

Great. In which language is written your tool?

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Nemergut, Vladimir <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, this one. Because I suppose this file needs to be changed if we want to have ID in description ;)

RE: Including ID in FxCop rule name

Nemergut, Vladimir

Sounds good to me ;)

https://github.com/vladonemo/SonarFxCopRulesGenerator

Let me know whether I wrote it clear.

https://github.com/vladonemo/SonarFxCopRulesGenerator/tree/master/GeneratedFiles

contains 3 ruleset files:

-          standardRules.xml – standard FxCop 10 rules

-          aspnetRules.xml – FxCop ASP.NET security rules

-          vsStaticAnalysisRules.xml – the rules from Visual Studio Static Code Analysis tool (except the standard FxCop ones)

Regards,

nemo

Great. In which language is written your tool?

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Nemergut, Vladimir <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, this one. Because I suppose this file needs to be changed if we want to have ID in description ;)

Re: Including ID in FxCop rule name

Fabrice Bellingard-4
I've quickly read through what you did, and that looks really great!

I've created http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONARDOTNT-284 so that we can use your tool to improve FxCop rule documentation in next release.

I'll also add an entry to the FAQ that points to your page.

Thanks for this contribution!