Quantcast

Meaning of different kind of violation in sonar.

Meaning of different kind of violation in sonar.

Masood
Hi,

Is there any defination/meaning for the different type of violation in Sonar:
blocker
critical
Major
Minor
Info

Thanks Ahead
Masood

Re: Meaning of different kind of violation in sonar.

Ann Campbell
In my team we have adopted these meanings (but it's really what you agree on internally)

Blocker: Stop the train. This code cannot move into production
Critical: If it's an emergency, this can slip into production, but it needs to be fixed immediately thereafter
Major: Should be fixed quickly, but can wait until the next scheduled interval.
Minor: When we get to it
Info: eh.

However, you shouldn't take that to mean that our large legacy code bases are devoid of criticals and majors. We've fixed all our blockers and are working to pay down our technical debt.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Masood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there any defination/meaning for the different type of violation in
Sonar:
blocker
critical
Major
Minor
Info

Thanks Ahead
Masood

Re: Meaning of different kind of violation in sonar.

Evgeny Mandrikov
Hi all,

I'm not sure that we all aligned in understanding of original question, so an addition to previous answers :
  • this is not a type, but what we call "severity"
  • severity can be changed and configured according to your needs and meanings
  • each rule has a default value for "severity"
  • moreover default profiles may contain pre-configured value, which is different from default of a rule
  • default values were determined empirically and may be different from your expectations
Hope it's more clear now.