Quantcast

New plugin: Find duplicate resources on the classpath

New plugin: Find duplicate resources on the classpath

Aaron Digulla
Hallo,

A few weeks ago, we used mvn duplicate-finder:check for the first
time. We were pretty surprised how many duplicates the tool found in
our project.

One of the main culprits were Maven dependencies which were tainted
with code from other projects or dependencies which used artifacts
with a different coordinate (commons-lang:commons-lang vs.
org.apache.commons:commons-lang).

Is there a plugin to check for this smell?

http://www.pdark.de/                   http://blog.pdark.de/

Re: New plugin: Find duplicate resources on the classpath

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi Aaron
There is no such plugin but If I've correctly understood your point you can use the Dependencies link on the left menu of Sonar to search for a specific library. But I suppose that you'd like something more automated :)

2012/7/10 Aaron Digulla <[hidden email]>
Hallo,

A few weeks ago, we used mvn duplicate-finder:check for the first time. We were pretty surprised how many duplicates the tool found in our project.

One of the main culprits were Maven dependencies which were tainted with code from other projects or dependencies which used artifacts with a different coordinate (commons-lang:commons-lang vs. org.apache.commons:commons-lang).

Is there a plugin to check for this smell?

http://www.pdark.de/                   http://blog.pdark.de/

Re: New plugin: Find duplicate resources on the classpath

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi Freddy

I think Aaron is looking for a plugin that finds duplications or similar problems with lirbaries dependencies not just source code.
Maybe you can add a feature like this in Sonar CPD, although I believe it's something different :)

Zitat von "Papapetrou P.Patroklos" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Aaron
> There is no such plugin but If I've correctly understood your point you can
> use the Dependencies link on the left menu of Sonar to search for a
> specific library. But I suppose that you'd like something more automated :)

The "Libraries" link just shows the output of mvn dependency:tree.

I'm talking about duplicate classed and resources on the classpath,
for example having org/slf4j/Logger.class three times on the
classpath. Or two different versions of Spring. Or getting errors that
IOUtils.closeQuietly() doesn't exist because you have
org.apache.batik.pdf-1.6.0.jar on the classpath.

Regards,

Zitat von Freddy Mallet <[hidden email]>:

> I see what you mean Aaron and in that case I do confirm that there isn't
> any Sonar plugin to report such kind of issue. The short way to provide
> such feature would be to create a Sonar plugin based on on the
> maven-duplicate-finder-plugin :
> https://github.com/ning/maven-duplicate-finder-plugin/ (We could imagine to
> directly pilot this library to remove the dependency on the Maven mojo)

It would be great to have such a plugin; as I said, we were pretty
surprised how polluted our classpath was when we ran the Maven plugin
for the first time.

What would be the next step?