Quantcast

Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
Hello,
I am using sonar runner to scan a java application. My setting are:

SONAR_RUNNER_OPTS = -Xmx1G -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

I get the following memory exception:

Exception in thread "main" org.sonar.batch.bootstrapper.BootstrapException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at org.sonar.runner.Runner.delegateExecution(Runner.java:189)
        at org.sonar.runner.Runner.execute(Runner.java:78)
        at org.sonar.runner.Main.main(Main.java:61)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue ?

Re: Out of memory Exception

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi kavin

Do you have at least 1GB + 512M free memory in the machine that Sonar runs?
I didn't know that you can use the G letter.... I 'd prefer -Xmx1024M ...

2012/6/6 kavin shelat <[hidden email]>
Hello,
I am using sonar runner to scan a java application. My setting are:

SONAR_RUNNER_OPTS = -Xmx1G -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

I get the following memory exception:

Exception in thread "main" org.sonar.batch.bootstrapper.BootstrapException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at org.sonar.runner.Runner.delegateExecution(Runner.java:189)
        at org.sonar.runner.Runner.execute(Runner.java:78)
        at org.sonar.runner.Main.main(Main.java:61)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue ?

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
The machine that I am using has atleast 70G of RAM available.
Let me try with 1024m instead of 1G.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue ?

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
I changed to 1024m, still get the same error:

13:17:39.611 INFO  Execute PMD 4.3 done: 2189126 ms
Total time: 50:07.991s
Final Memory: 314M/989M
Exception in thread "main" org.sonar.batch.bootstrapper.BootstrapException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Dont HUNT what U Cant KILL

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue ?

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
The entire project source code folder is about 500MB (apprx 18,000 files). Findbugs is activated.
I tried to change the memory setting to use more than 5Gigs, sonar doesn't like it. Complains about not able to initialize the VM.

Dont HUNT what U Cant KILL

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
Also,
I changed
SONAR_RUNNER_OPTS = -Xmx5120m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m (5Gigs and 1Gig) and i get the following:

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx5120m
The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.

Dont HUNT what U Cant KILL

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
Any updates ?

Re: Out of memory Exception

Waleri Enns
Hi Kavin,

make sure youre using 64-bit Java. A 32-bit one *cannot* have 5 GB heap
space because its more than the maximum size of a 32-bit process.

Alternatively, pass max possible amount heap size on 32 and see how it
goes. On Linux + stock kernel this is usually 2G.

Cheers,
--
Waleri

On 06/06/2012 11:38 PM, kavin shelat wrote:

> [...]
>     Sonar runs?
>     I didn't know that you can use the G letter.... I 'd prefer
>     -Xmx1024M ...
>
>     Regards
>     Patroklos
>
>     2012/6/6 kavin shelat <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>         Hello,
>         I am using sonar runner to scan a java application. My setting are:
>
>         SONAR_RUNNER_OPTS = -Xmx1G -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
>
>         I get the following memory exception:
>
>         /Exception in thread "main"
>         org.sonar.batch.bootstrapper.BootstrapException:
>         java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>         at org.sonar.runner.Runner.delegateExecution(Runner.java:189)
>         at org.sonar.runner.Runner.execute(Runner.java:78)
>         at org.sonar.runner.Main.main(Main.java:61)
>         Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space/
>
>         Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue ?

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
Hi Waleri,
I am using a 64 bit machine. Does sonar have a 64 bit version for 2.13 ?
Sonar is installed under c:\Program Files(x86)

> [...]

> > Sonar runs?
> > I didn't know that you can use the G letter.... I 'd prefer
> > -Xmx1024M ...
> >
> > Regards
> > Patroklos
> >
> > 2012/6/6 kavin shelat <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> >
> > Hello,
> > I am using sonar runner to scan a java application. My setting are:
> >
> > SONAR_RUNNER_OPTS = -Xmx1G -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
> >
> > I get the following memory exception:
> >
> > /Exception in thread "main"
> > org.sonar.batch.bootstrapper.BootstrapException:
> > java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> > at org.sonar.runner.Runner.delegateExecution(Runner.java:189)
> > at org.sonar.runner.Runner.execute(Runner.java:78)
> > at org.sonar.runner.Main.main(Main.java:61)
> > Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space/
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue ?

Re: Out of memory Exception

Waleri Enns
On 06/07/2012 03:50 PM, kavin shelat wrote:
> Hi Waleri,
> I am using a 64 bit machine. Does sonar have a 64 bit version for 2.13 ?
> Sonar is installed under c:\Program Files(x86)

you have a thinking error here. Sonar is a java application and doesnt
care about 32 or 62 bit whatsoever. It just runs on the virtual machine.
Its the *virtual machine* which has to be a native 64 application.

But, before you go this way, just try to pass 1.8-2G as max heap
parameter to your call and see what happens.

> [...]
>  > > at org.sonar.runner.Runner.execute(Runner.java:78)
>  > > at org.sonar.runner.Main.main(Main.java:61)
>  > > Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space/
>  > >
>  > > Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue ?
>  > > **
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > --
>  > > Best regards,
>  > > Evgeny Mandrikov aka Godin <http://godin.net.ru>
>  > > http://twitter.com/_godin_
>  >
>  >
>  > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
you mean set SONAR_VM_OPTS = -Xmx1.8G ?

Dont HUNT what U Cant KILL

On 06/07/2012 04:18 PM, kavin shelat wrote:
> you mean set SONAR_VM_OPTS = -Xmx1.8G ?

Yes, or the according number in MB. Not sure if java will accept the
"G"-Syntax.

> [...]
>  > > > >
>  > > > >
>  > > > >
>  > > > >
>  > > > > --
>  > > > > Best regards,
>  > > > > Evgeny Mandrikov aka Godin <http://godin.net.ru>
>  > > > > http://twitter.com/_godin_
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > > > To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>  > > >
>  > > > http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  >
>  >
>  > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
I set SONAR_VM_OPTS = 1824m   ----> 1.8G

I get the following error:

On 06/07/2012 04:47 PM, kavin shelat wrote:
> I set SONAR_VM_OPTS = 1824m ----> 1.8G
>
> I get the following error:
>
> /Error occurred during initialization of VM
> Could not reserve enough space for object heap
> Could not create the Java virtual machine./

Kavin,

just try a smaller value. I dont have a Windows machine to nail it down
for you, so you have to determine the max possible value of max heap
space on your machine by yourself. And IF you still get the OutOfMemory
Error, go 64 bit.

> [...]
>  > > > > > > http://twitter.com/_godin_
>  > > > > >
>  > > > > >
>  > > > > >
>  > > > > >
>  > > > > > http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>  > > > > >
>  > > > > >
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > > > To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>  > > >
>  > > > http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  >
>  >
>  > To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

RE: Out of memory Exception

kavin shelat
I am actually using a 64 bit machine (2008 server). So this time it bombs out and says "Cannot execute Findbugs"

Dont HUNT what U Cant KILL