Quantcast

PermGen space error....

Jeff
Config:
CentOS 6.2 x64
Dual Intel XEON 3.07 Ghz CPU (VMWare ESX 5 host)
4 GB RAM
Tomcat 6
Sonar 3.0.1
JDK 7 update 03

Tomcat startup:
-verbose:gc -server -Xmx2048m -Xms512m -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:MaxNewSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=1536m -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

I restarted the application Friday afternoon due to this issue and bumped the MaxPermSize from 1024m to 1536m and this morning Sonar is reporting PermGen memory errors again.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?  I don't believe our SONAR usage should be overloading SONAR.  I do have about 15 projects that run SONAR after every build in Jenkins, but most are small library projects or smaller service applications.

--
Jeff Vincent
[hidden email]
I ♥ DropBox !!

Re: PermGen space error....

Freddy Mallet
Hi Jeff,

On Nemo, Sonar is running with -XX:MaxPermSize=128m so we should find out why this is not the case on your side.
  • Is Sonar the only Web application deployed on your Tomcat server ?
  • Which Sonar plugins have you installed ?
Are you executing any dynamic language like Groovy on the Tomcat instance ?

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks,

We aren't using Groovy or anything else directly that I'm aware of (unless it is happening due to a plugin) and Sonar is the only web app (besides the default tomcat manager) running on that server.

Here are the list of plugins:
  • Artifact Size 0.3
  • Branding 0.3
  • C# Core 1.3
  • C# FxCop 1.3
  • C# Gallio 1.3
  • C# Gendarme 1.3
  • C# NDeps 1.3
  • C# Squid 1.1.1
  • C# StyleCop 1.3
  • CSV Export 1.2
  • Flex 1.0.1
  • JavaScript 0.4
  • LDAP 1.1.1
  • Motion Chart 1.3
  • Quality Index 1.1.3
  • SCM Activity 1.3
  • Sonar Tab Metrics Plugin 1.0.1
  • Taglist 1.0
  • Technical Debt 1.2.1
  • Timeline 1.2
  • Views 1.7.1
  • Web 1.1
  • Widget Lab 1.0
  • Xml 0.2
  • fb-contrib 1.1
System plugins
  • Checkstyle
  • Cobertura
  • Core
  • Database Cleaner
  • Design
  • Duplications
  • Email notifications
  • English Pack
  • Findbugs
  • JaCoCo
  • PMD
  • Squid for Java
  • Surefire

I cleared all the logs when I restarted this morning so if/when it happens again, I'll pay close attention to the error context.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Freddy Mallet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I ♥ DropBox !!

Re: PermGen space error....

Jeff
Here is a snippet of the error I see in the catalina.out file:

Exception in thread "Timer-0"
Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Timer-0"
Jul 12, 2012 11:55:23 AM org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter service
SEVERE: An exception or error occurred in the container during the request processing
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Jul 12, 2012 11:55:27 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler process
SEVERE: Error reading request, ignored
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Jul 12, 2012 12:01:49 PM org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter service
SEVERE: An exception or error occurred in the container during the request processing
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

And from sonar.log I see a bunch of these:
Can only render or redirect once per action
        /var/cache/tomcat6/temp/0-ROOT/WEB-INF/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:900:in `render'
        /var/cache/tomcat6/temp/0-ROOT/WEB-INF/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:51:in `render_with_benchmark'
        /var/cache/tomcat6/temp/0-ROOT/WEB-INF/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/ac

Are they related maybe?

I ♥ DropBox !!

Re: PermGen space error....

Jeff
This is the list:

[root@PRDSLVLDNASNR01 webapps]# ls -la
total 7752
drwxrwxr-x 6 root   tomcat    4096 May 18 14:17 .
drwxrwxr-x 3 root   root      4096 May  7 12:20 ..
drwxrwxr-x 5 root   tomcat    4096 May  7 12:20 host-manager
drwxrwxr-x 5 root   tomcat    4096 May  7 12:20 manager
drwxr-xr-x 7 tomcat tomcat    4096 May  7 12:20 probe
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root   7909476 May  7 12:20 probe.war
drwxr-xr-x 8 tomcat tomcat    4096 May 18 14:17 ROOT //<--SONAR

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Ann Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I ♥ DropBox !!

Re: PermGen space error....

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry but I really can't manage to understand how Sonar could consume so much permgem space.

When have you started to face this issue ?

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hard to say.

It's a new deployment of Sonar 3.0.1 (as of about 7-8 weeks ago) and it has happened with increasing frequency as we have converted all our projects to Maven and enabled Sonar analysis.

All our active projects are now "Mavenized" and running Sonar as part of the Jenkins post-build steps.

I have to restart tomcat about every 5-7 days now.  The last time was yesterday (7/12).  The time before was Friday (7/6).  We have 22 projects showing in the sonar results.  3 are C# that have been added by another team that is prototyping Sonar with their builds.

I'd say that our Sonar is lightly used compared to some so it is baffling.

What can I enable to get more usage or debug info?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Freddy Mallet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I ♥ DropBox !!

Re: PermGen space error....

Freddy Mallet
Hi Jeff,

I would like to be sure that this issue only relates to be the Sonar core so would it be possible to use the Sonar standalone mode instead of deploying Sonar on a Tomcat server ?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I can try...it is in production now and has DNS and such configured that I don't control.  I've also never run the stand-alone version so I don't know what it might require to swap out without changing too much infrastructure and I'm out all next week.

I'll try to work on it after that.  In the meantime, if there are any suggestions regarding more debugging/logging options I should try, I'm all ears.

I ♥ DropBox !!