Quantcast

Reg: Maintainability Index Calculation using Sonar SQALE metrics

Reg: Maintainability Index Calculation using Sonar SQALE metrics

Vijay Krishna Doddala
Dear All,

I wanted some inputs/help in calculating the Maintainability Index using the metrics shown in SQALE widgets.

1. How is the maintainability index calculated, what is the formula used.
2. What are the different factors that are needed/derived from SQALE/Sonar.
3. What are the benchmark values for Maintainability Index, I mean to show the project in Green, Yellow, Red, etc.

PFA the excel sheet that I prepared by browsing the internet. But couldnt understand everything in it like how the percentages are calculated from the effort shown in Maintainability Index from Sonar.

Please provide your valuable inputs.

Vijay Krishna Doddala.
"Mother tongue is a repository of culture
and makes people what they are
and who they are..."
"If you take your eyes off your goals, all you see is obstacles."
"Every Saint has a past and every sinner has a future".

SQALE Maintainability Index.xlsx (15K) Download Attachment

Re: Reg: Maintainability Index Calculation using Sonar SQALE metrics

David Racodon-2
Hi Vijay,

To be honest, I don't quite understand what you want to achieve.
First, what exactly do you mean by "Maintainability Index"? The SQALE Rating? The SEI Maintainability Index?

Thank you

On 13 July 2012 10:31, Vijay Krishna Doddala <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. In the Sonar Dashboard from the SQALE widgets we are getting the various parameters like, Testability, Maintainability Index, etc.

As we can see we have 2 columns effort and total effort. The calculation starts from the last item and moves till the first item. Adding each parameter's effort to the total effort, right?

From here, we have taken the Maintainability Index which is in effort. How can we use this to calculate the index or how Sonar uses this to show the project is in which state(Green, Yellow, Red). What are the factors that are needed like KLOC, etc. In my previous mail I have attached an excel sheet which talks about the Work Units etc. So, basically my question is what is this Work Units and from where we can dervie this and ultimately calculate the Maintainability Index. Sorry, if I am still ambiguous.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM, David Racodon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, that is right.

From here, we have taken the Maintainability Index which is in effort.

The default SQALE characteristics are the ones below. When you say "Maintainability Index", you mean "Maintainability" or have you customized those characteristics? So for example, here you would say that your Maintainability Index is 95.8 days, right?
Inline images 1

How can we use this to calculate the index or how Sonar uses this to show the project is in which state(Green, Yellow, Red).
It comes back to my first question? What is that "index" you want to calculate? The SQALE Rating:

Inline images 2

What are the factors that are needed like KLOC, etc. In my previous mail I have attached an excel sheet which talks about the Work Units etc. So, basically my question is what is this Work Units and from where we can dervie this and ultimately calculate the Maintainability Index. Sorry, if I am still ambiguous.
If you're talking about the SQALE Rating, the way it is computed is explained in Configuration > General Settings > SQALE > Rating grid

Still not sure to have understood your need.
Let me know.

Thank you

On 13 July 2012 11:17, Vijay Krishna Doddala <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. In the Sonar Dashboard from the SQALE widgets we are getting the various parameters like, Testability, Maintainability Index, etc.

As we can see we have 2 columns effort and total effort. The calculation starts from the last item and moves till the first item. Adding each parameter's effort to the total effort, right?

From here, we have taken the Maintainability Index which is in effort. How can we use this to calculate the index or how Sonar uses this to show the project is in which state(Green, Yellow, Red). What are the factors that are needed like KLOC, etc. In my previous mail I have attached an excel sheet which talks about the Work Units etc. So, basically my question is what is this Work Units and from where we can dervie this and ultimately calculate the Maintainability Index. Sorry, if I am still ambiguous.

[...]

Thank you so much for explaining. Yes, I was mentioning about the SQALE rating which is A and in green color in your picture below. So to show that in green color we have to go to Configuration > General Settings > SQALE > Rating grid, right? I will check these and for any clarifications will check with you once again. Thanks once again.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM, David Racodon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

As we can see we have 2 columns effort and total effort. The calculation starts from the last item and moves till the first item. Adding each parameter's effort to the total effort, right?

Yes, that is right.

From here, we have taken the Maintainability Index which is in effort.

[...]

From here, we have taken the Maintainability Index which is in effort. How can we use this to calculate the index or how Sonar uses this to show the project is in which state(Green, Yellow, Red). What are the factors that are needed like KLOC, etc. In my previous mail I have attached an excel sheet which talks about the Work Units etc. So, basically my question is what is this Work Units and from where we can dervie this and ultimately calculate the Maintainability Index. Sorry, if I am still ambiguous.