Quantcast

Sonar Philosophy

Allan Shoup-2
Hi all. Back in December there was a discussion [1] around the Sonar philosophy. I just wanted to check back in and see if there was any further internal discussion around supporting a project-centric maven configuration in addition to the current management-app-centric configuration. This is coming up again because we've encountered another limitation of the current system. We have many projects that are Eclipse RCP plug-ins and are using a custom testing plug-in (not maven-surefire-plugin). Since we don't have control over what testing plug-in gets executed as part of the sonar execution, our code coverage does not register. One way to resolve this might be with a new mojo that would run during the site lifecycle that would simply collect data instead of controlling the entire configuration and build lifecycle.

As a bigger-picture thought, what about creating a formal API around the sonar database. This could allow divergent collection mechanisms to evolve independently and make it easier for the community to contribute to the project.

Thanks.
-- Allan

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/sonar-user/browse_thread/thread/a8c4f82f84c8ebeb

Re: Sonar Philosophy

Simon
Administrator
Hello Allan,

You're completely right, contributions from open source community will
be conceivable only if sonar opens its API. To be honnest, we did not
progress on this subject. The short-term roadmap was to deliver mature
releases with 'must have' features and basic  indicators. The 1.1 and
1.2  (March) releases go into this direction. Then we will focus on
the API and a plugin system. It will include the definition of custom
indicators, how to measure them (maven plugin execution / batch on the
server side), and how to display them. It is planned for the first
semester and it will be our priority.

We will keep you inform of our progress.

Simon

Re: Sonar Philosophy

Allan Shoup-2
That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing how the project evolves.

Thanks.