Quantcast

VerifyError in sonar plugin

hc

VerifyError in sonar plugin

hc
Hello,

I am part of a team that uses sonar for over two years now. We have recently started generating class files(binaries) targeted to Java 1.7 and noticed that a number of tests fail only when being exercised under sonar, with VerifyError exceptions:

java.lang.VerifyError: Expecting a stackmap frame at branch target 51 in method com.mycompany.AppenderBase.getMessage(Lch/qos/logback/classic/spi/ILoggingEvent;)Ljava/lang/String; at offset 27
    at com.mycompany.AppenderBaseBaseTest.createStandardTestObject(AppenderBaseTest.java:32)
    at com.mycompany.AppenderBaseTest.log(AppenderBaseTest.java:255)
    at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)
    at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
    at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:41)
    at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod.evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:20)
    at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runNotIgnored(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:79)
    at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:71)
    at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:49)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:193)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:52)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:191)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:42)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:184)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:236)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4TestSet.execute(JUnit4TestSet.java:53)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:123)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:104)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray(ReflectionUtils.java:164)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:110)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireStarter.invokeProvider(SurefireStarter.java:172)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireStarter.runSuitesInProcessWhenForked(SurefireStarter.java:104)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:70)a

I found some resources on stackoverflow indicating workarounds, but I would like to know
1. Presumably this is caused by a 3rd party plugin that maven-sonar-plugin uses. Most likely cobertura. How could I confirm the exact 3rd party plugin causes the problem?
2. I tried passing -XX:-UseSplitVerifier as the MAVEN_OPTS parameter but tests still failed with the same error. Do you happen to know why this happens? Is it a problem on the sonar plugin side, or maybe cobertura/surefire that did not pick it up?
3. The only way I could make it work was to add the -XX:-UseSplitVerifier option to the surefire plugin. But I would prefer not to add this option just to make sonar plugin happy. Does anyone have any other solutions/workarounds?

My sonar environment is:
   - Sonar server version: 3.0
   - Sonar pluginn: org.codehaus.mojo:sonar-maven-plugin:2.0
   - The project is built on Fedora 16, with Maven 3.0.4 and JDK 1.7.0 u4

Thank you!

Horace

Re: VerifyError in sonar plugin

Which coverage engine do you use?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7010665/testng-emma-cobertura-coverage-and-jdk-7-result-in-classformaterror-and-verif

hc

Re: VerifyError in sonar plugin

hc
Hello Evgeny,

We are using the default code coverage plugin which is cobertura.

Best Regards,

Horace

hc

Re: VerifyError in sonar plugin