Quantcast

adding manual measures to a run retroactively

adding manual measures to a run retroactively

Christopher Mordue
Is there a way to add manual measures to the last run of a project in sonar?

My use case is the following: I have a task (a long performance test) that is prohibitively expense to run on every time we run sonar (every checkin). However, I'd still like the data to exist in sonar (so I can see it in a Timeline). And the manual measure values should be aligned with the execution time (or even better: a commit I specify).

The approach I've taken so far is to execute a script in the post-processing step of my performance test. This script uses the manual_measures Web Service API, adding the performance metrics to my project in sonar as manual metrics. The problem I have with this approach is that the values aren't accepted immediately and don't show up on the graphs in Sonar until the next execution in sonar. This means my performance test results aren't visible until the next execution.

Any recommendations for solving this? I'm using Sonar 3.2.

thanks,

Chris

Re: adding manual measures to a run retroactively

Jesús Badenas Martínez
Hi Chris,

do you know Sonar Formula plugin? With this plugin you can define a math expression or formula that combines some metrics (or numerical constants) and shows the result in a Sonar widget. You don't need to re-launch a Sonar analysis to calculate it.

Take a look at the documentation page. In the next days we are releasing a new version (1.1), so the documentation is updated to version 1.1 but the download is not available yet. But version 1.0 is enough for your purpose (download link here).

Regards.

--
Jesús Badenas Martínez (Linkedin)
Arquitectura y Calidad del Software
t: 96 325 48 08

Re: adding manual measures to a run retroactively

Christopher Mordue
Hi Jesús,

I hadn't seen the Sonar Formula plugin. Looks pretty interesting. It looks like you were recommending the Widget formula manual measures? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Sonar Formula Plugin depend on the values of the formula's variables a the time of a sonar run? In my case, I create the values after the sonar run since my performance tests are really long and don't get run inside of sonar. So I don't think this helps for my use case.

Chris

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Jesús Badenas Martínez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Principal Developer - MuleSoft ESB

[hidden email]

M: +54-9-11-3660-9390

Corrientes 316 Entre Piso  - C1043AAQ - Buenos Aires - Argentina

Re: adding manual measures to a run retroactively

Jesús Badenas Martínez
You're right. Sonar Formula Plugin uses values of the measures that are already saved in Sonar. But if you create a new manual measure, you need to do one analysis at least to save the value in Sonar.

[...]

M: <a href="tel:%2B54-9-11-3660-9390" value="+5491136609390" target="_blank">+54-9-11-3660-9390

t: 96 325 48 08

Re: adding manual measures to a run retroactively

Christopher Mordue
Thanks for your help Jesús. As you've alluded, another way to achieve my goal is to trigger another analysis of sonar when my long/expensive task completes. That should work for me.

Chris

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Jesús Badenas Martínez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We're Hiring!

Twitter | Blog | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube

Re: adding manual measures to a run retroactively

Juan Ignacio Barisich
Is this (trigger another analysis) yet the only way to solve this issue?
I think that an alternative would be a sonar-runner variant, lilke "sonar-runner views" or "sonar-runner reports" (http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Analyzing+with+SonarQube+Runner#AnalyzingwithSonarQubeRunner-RunningOtherTasks)

Did you know if it is possible to extend sonar-runner ?