Quantcast

getting stats on libraries used in a set of project

getting stats on libraries used in a set of project

jerome.dupont

Hello

I want to do some statistics on our applications code, which are built with
maven, some of them continuously integrated in hudson and sonar.
We have several separated mvn project, and I'd like to  report which
group/artifacts/version are used by which projects.

I can use in sonar dependency/search library feature, which fulfills my
need partially: I can enter the name of a library and navigate to know
which versions are used by wich projects.

I 'd like to go further, and make a complete report without manual
interaction.

I wonder if it exists a plugin  doing that kind if thing?

Thanks in advance,
Jérôme

Exposition  La Presse à la Une. De la  Gazette  à Internet  - du 11 avril au 15 juillet 2012 - BnF - François-Mitterrand Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.

Re: getting stats on libraries used in a set of project

Freddy Mallet
Hi Jérôme,

No I'm not aware of such Sonar plugin. If my understanding is correct, you'd like to display a table where the first column would contain the list of all libraries which are currently used and the second column would display which projects are using those libraries ?

[...]

Hi,

Thanks for the so fast answer.

Basically that's it.
Perhaps also something which can indicate the "popularity" of a library. (i.e. the number of projects using it).

The need behind that post, is that we have "many" aplications, let's say somme dozens, developped by differents people along the time (let's say several time some dozens :-).
And we want to detect several things:
_ The frameworks we use
_ Which versions do we use of a given framwork
_ Detect exotic libraries/versions

That would help us to update some versions, and to be more consistent when we develop a new application, etc.

If hope that looks clear, even if I don't know what I want exatly :-)

Regards, Jérôme

Re: getting stats on libraries used in a set of project

Ann Campbell
+1

+20 if it's not Maven-only! :-D

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM, jerome.dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the so fast answer.

Basically that's it.
Perhaps also something which can indicate the "popularity" of a library.
(i.e. the number of projects using it).

The need behind that post, is that we have "many" aplications, let's say
somme dozens, developped by differents people along the time (let's say
several time some dozens :-).
And we want to detect several things:
_ The frameworks we use
_ Which versions do we use of a given framwork
_ Detect exotic libraries/versions

That would help us to update some versions, and to be more consistent when
we develop a new application, etc.

If hope that looks clear, even if I don't know what I want exatly :-)

Regards, Jérôme

Re: getting stats on libraries used in a set of project

Hi Jerome,

What's your feeling about the following report proposal ?
The idea of this report would be to display the top X of most used libraries and for each library to show which versions are really used. This would help to quickly monitor if most projects are using the recommended versions of "common" libraries.

Log4j              1.12       9 projects
                      1.11       3 projects
                      1.8         1 project
                      Total     13 projects

Commons-IO   2.4         7 projects
                      2.2         4 projects
                      Total      11 projects

Guava            11.0        5 projects
                      Total       5 projects

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM, jerome.dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the so fast answer.

Basically that's it.
Perhaps also something which can indicate the "popularity" of a library.
(i.e. the number of projects using it).

The need behind that post, is that we have "many" aplications, let's say
somme dozens, developped by differents people along the time (let's say
several time some dozens :-).
And we want to detect several things:
_ The frameworks we use
_ Which versions do we use of a given framwork
_ Detect exotic libraries/versions

That would help us to update some versions, and to be more consistent when
we develop a new application, etc.

If hope that looks clear, even if I don't know what I want exatly :-)

Regards, Jérôme

Re: getting stats on libraries used in a set of project

Ann Campbell
Freddy,

You didn't ask me (probably on purpose! ;-) but there really needs to be a way to access the list of the "9 projects"

:-)
Ann

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Freddy Mallet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Of course Ann and you know that you don't need any kind of permission to suggest, challenge, criticize, ... nothing should prevent you from saying what you have in mind, this is part of the Sonar team DNA :)

Jérôme, feel free to create a JIRA ticket.

[...]

Sorry,

I'm just coming back from holidays (offline whole time)  so I couldn't answer.

That sounds nice to me, with access to projects as Ann  proposed.

I've entered the following issue in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-3725