Quantcast

[sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

12

[sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Javier Londoño
Hi All,

I would like build a plugin to cover ceylong language and for this i have investigated about the AST and parsers.  I have spoken with people de ceylon team and they have informed me that maybe someone has already begun with this job.  Guys this is true? if not true, I could count on your endorsement and support to undertake this work?
I appreciate your feedback guys.

Thanks and regards.
--

Cordialmente

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Freddy Mallet
Hi Javier,

I'm not aware of any pending development on a Sonar Ceylon plugin so you seem to be the first one having this idea. When covering a new language the most complex part is indeed the development of the parser to get the AST. Do you plan to reuse the parser embedded into the Ceylon distribution (don't know if it's possible) or to write a new dedicated parser with help of Antlr for instance ?

2012/3/13 Javier Londoño <[hidden email]>
Hi All,

I would like build a plugin to cover ceylong language and for this i have investigated about the AST and parsers.  I have spoken with people de ceylon team and they have informed me that maybe someone has already begun with this job.  Guys this is true? if not true, I could count on your endorsement and support to undertake this work?
I appreciate your feedback guys.

Thanks and regards.
--

Cordialmente

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Javier Londoño
Hi Freddy.

Thanks for your response.

In this moment the idea is use the in integrated parser from the distribution, this would allow me to generate the AST would be one of the essential  things to integrate with sonar. Would fail to develop the rules engine (among many things)  to start with the integration.

I appreciate your comments and opinions.

Thanks and regards.

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Javier Londoño
Hi Fabrice,

Thanks for your information.

I have also spoken with Stephane and has given me the support to start this project.  I really do not know how easy or difficult will be to implement this plugin, but for this I have a good time, I'm reading and researching enough to do it right and analyzing the code of other similar plugin.

If you would like to share any other ideas or comments, they will be welcome.

Regards Fabrice.

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Freddy Mallet
Hi Javier,

According to me the first steps should be to start working on the "CeylonMetrics" and "CeylonRules" java libraries : those two libraries could be fully independent from the Sonar API even if they could be hosted in the Sonar forge.
  • The goal of the first library would be to provide basic measures on Ceylon source code : complexity, lines of code, comments, statements, files, classes
  • The goal of the second library would to be provide a Ceylon rule engine
Then the integration into a Sonar plugin could be straightforward.

cheers,

2012/3/14 Javier Londoño <[hidden email]>
[...]

Freddy gave you good advices on the path to follow, and I think that you can be fully autonomous on those 2 first steps (as they can be done independently from Sonar API). Once you have reached the moment when you have to write the actual code of the plugin, I'd be happy to give you guidance and assist you if you need help.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:53, Freddy Mallet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much for the tips.

I will start with this tasks.  Any concerns, I will comment or ask.

Thanks again Freddy.

Regards.

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Javier Londoño
Wonderful!

I am motivated to start as soon as possible.

Thanks to Freddy and Fabrice again for the tips.

Greetings!

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Javier Londoño
Hi again Guys!!!

After a long time where i was pretty busy, now i count with time for start with build of Ceylon Plugin.  Guys  in accordance with yours comments, I have some questions:

*  Fabrice y Freddy advised build the plugin  independent from the Sonar API.  When you say this, you refer to this new plugin should not depend of the sonar-plugin-api project (i must not reference de pom of this project)? i´m right? can you explain why this?

*  I´m going to start with the metrics project, for this i have check out the scala plugin (language which functions as Ceylon in the JVM) and this does not count with tools as by example codenarc for groovy.  Obviously i must build all the features for get the basic metrics.  I ask:  how i determine what are the metrics that allow me to get Ceylon or which limits me the language?

*  There any mention standard in sonar which are basic metrics should have a plugin for a language?

I appreciate your comments and ideas.

Thanks Guys.

Regards.

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Freddy Mallet
Hi Javier,

*  Fabrice y Freddy advised build the plugin  independent from the Sonar API.  When you say this, you refer to this new plugin should not depend of the sonar-plugin-api project (i must not reference de pom of this project)? i´m right? can you explain why this?

In fact what we advise if to first create the technical libraries in charge to compute basic metrics  and to provide a basic rule engine for Ceylon. And those two libraries don't have to rely on Sonar API except if you plan to use SSLR to parse the Ceylon source code. Indeed those two  technical libraries require a java ceylon parser to be able to work with an AST.

So the first question to get an answer to is : What will be this Ceylon parser ? If you plan to start with SSLR, the javascript lexer/parser could be a good starting point : https://github.com/SonarCommunity/sonar-javascript/tree/master/javascript-squid/src/main/java/org/sonar/javascript

Kind regards
Freddy

[...]

Thanks Fredy for your fast response.

I will analyze the information that you provided me.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Hi Javier,

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Javier Londoño
Hi Again Fredy.

I have a new question:

I'm going to use the lexer and parser of Ceylon (not SSLR), now i dont understand why my new libraries can not depend of sonar-api, if in some moment i must implement  by example the Plugin interface of sonar-plugin-api project for that sonar can "take" my new plugin. I realize this question, because i look plugins as scala-plugin, groovy-plugin, drools-plugin and they all work depending of this project.

Sorry if I do not understand, but I am just learning some of the sonar´s architecture.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Freddy Mallet
Hi Javier,

I'm going to use the lexer and parser of Ceylon (not SSLR), now i dont understand why my new libraries can not depend of sonar-api, if in some moment i must implement  by example the Plugin interface of sonar-plugin-api project for that sonar can "take" my new plugin. I realize this question, because i look plugins as scala-plugin, groovy-plugin, drools-plugin and they all work depending of this project.

Of course if you create a Sonar plugin you must depend on Sonar API :-)

We were just saying that the most complex task is not to create this "glue" with the Sonar API and so this task can be done at the end. The most important thing is to develop two technical libraries able to compute basic metrics and to run some rules.

But if you want to put all this stuff in only one Maven project, of course you can go ahead and already create this dependency on the Sonar API.

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Fabrice Bellingard-4
Just for information: have you put your code somewhere already? (like a GitHub repository)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Javier Londoño <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

I had not understood that the libraries should be independent of each other :). I'm going to start with the ceylon-metrics library.

Thanks again and excuse me for the inconvenience.

Regards!!!

[...]

Hello Fabrice.

In this moment i dont have much code, but i look that all plugins must be in the sonar´s SVN. I think in some moment upload the code a some repository (<span style="BACKGROUND-COLOR:#fff" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor=&#39;#ebeff9&#39;" title="quizás el más opcionado" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=&#39;#fff&#39;">perhaps the most optioned is Github, but not for now). There is some problem for this idea? some advice for this case? Do you want Fabrice analyze something over the code?.

Thanks and regards!!!

Javier O. Londoño C.

Re: [sonar-dev] Cover Ceylon language

Fabrice Bellingard-4
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Javier Londoño <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Fabrice.

In this moment i dont have much code, but i look that all plugins must be in the sonar´s SVN. I think in some moment upload the code a some repository (perhaps the most optioned is Github, but not for now). There is some problem for this idea? some advice for this case?

Well, no special advice actually. I guess that until you commit your code publicly for the first time, the best for you is to use whatever tool you feel confortable with. If you know Git and GitHub, then I'd say that this is the perfect place for you to start with (but that's just a personal opinion ;-)).

Do you want Fabrice analyze something over the code?

Not necessarily me :-) I know Evgeny or Dinesh (aka our "Language" dream team ;-)) may want to have a look at the core of your plugin some day, while I would later take a look at the "glue" around this core that makes it a Sonar plugin.

But hey, take your time, there's no hurry ;-)

[...]

Thanks Fabrice for your comments.

I will be commenting my results with this work.

Javier O. Londoño C.