Quantcast

[sonar-dev] Global dashboards and plugin widgets in Sonar 3.1

[sonar-dev] Global dashboards and plugin widgets in Sonar 3.1

Antonio Calero
Hi all!

Thank you for this new release of Sonar (3.1), nice work!!

I'm just beginning to test global dashboards and I love this new feature!

I have a few questions about what kind of widgets are we supposed to use in these global dashboards:

- I have seen that all widgets share a new "property" when they are in a global dashboard (the "project" selection property). Is this mandatory if I want to display the widget in the global dashboard? or is it possible to create a widget without a project dependency?

- In case this is not possible... When you add a widget in the global dashboard, a new blue bar is displayed with the name of the project selected in this mandatory option... Is it possible to hide this bar?

I'm thinking about creating/modifying plugins to show global information in these dashboards, maybe a global logo widget, or maybe a City Model that displays your Sonar "country" with all your Cities together in a single global widget ;-)

Thank you!

Best regards.
Antonio Calero Monteagudo (LinkedIn - Twitter )
Área de Desarrollo, Arquitectura y Calidad de Software
t: 96 325 48 08 - m: 619 34 49 81

Re: [sonar-dev] Global dashboards and plugin widgets in Sonar 3.1

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi
I was wondering the same thing.
Do we need to  "update" plugin widgets to be available in Global Dashboards?

2012/6/5 Antonio Calero <[hidden email]>
[...]

David Gageot
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

First, Global dashboards can be used to display any widget. They don't have to be upgraded or modified
to work with global dashboard. The only difference is that when the widget is added to the dashboard,
a project needs to be specified and this project name will be displayed in a blue title on top of the widget.

With global dashboards, we introduced a new kind of widget: global widgets! These widgets
can be put on any dashboard (project or global) and they should display information that is not attached
to a single project. So, yes, you could develop a widget that displays a logo, a map...

Actually, 3.1 ships with only one global widget: the filter widget that can can used to display the result
of a filter on any dashboard.

Hope this helps,

David

-- David

Re: [sonar-dev] Global dashboards and plugin widgets in Sonar 3.1

Antonio Calero
Hi!

Thank you for your support! Good news with global dashboards!

So, how can we use this new kind of widget?

With project widgets we have to implement the RubyRailsWidget interface.

public class MyProjectWidget extends AbstractRubyTemplate implements RubyRailsWidget {

Is there a new interface for global widgets? How can we add a global widget in a plugin?

public class MyGlobalWidget extends ???? implements ???? {

Or is there a way to setup the widget?

-- David

Re: [sonar-dev] Global dashboards and plugin widgets in Sonar 3.1

David Gageot
Hi Antonio,

Any widget can be put on a Global dashboard without modification.
During configuration, the user will be asked to select a project.

If you want to develop new Global Widgets that display information
that are not linked to a specific project, the idea is to annotate your
widget class with:

org.sonar.api.web.WidgetScope(GLOBAL)

David

-- David

Re: [sonar-dev] Global dashboards and plugin widgets in Sonar 3.1

Antonio Calero
Thank you very much David!

So I suppose there isn't backward compatibility... if I use this annotation in a Widget the plugin will not work in previous Sonar versions. Is this correct?

And how can I test this? Do I have to wait until Sonar release 3.1 to be able to use new API features? I'm trying to set my plugin to support Sonar 3.1-RC2 but Maven can't download 3.1-RC2 package dependencies...

Best regards,
Antonio.

El 11/06/2012, a las 08:28, David Gageot escribió:

[...]

-- David

Re: [sonar-dev] Global dashboards and plugin widgets in Sonar 3.1

Simon Brandhof

So I suppose there isn't backward compatibility... if I use this annotation in a Widget the plugin will not work in previous Sonar versions. Is this correct?

Yes indeed

And how can I test this? Do I have to wait until Sonar release 3.1 to be able to use new API features? I'm trying to set my plugin to support Sonar 3.1-RC2 but Maven can't download 3.1-RC2 package dependencies...

You can give a try to 3.1-RC3. Artifacts are available in central repo.

Regards
Simon

Re: [sonar-dev] Global dashboards and plugin widgets in Sonar 3.1

Antonio Calero
Thanks Simon!

We will try with 3.1-RC3,

Best regards,