Quantcast

[sonar-dev] New Language - PowerBuilder

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi Sonar devs

I am willing to create a plugin to cover PowerBuilder as a programming language.
The (ugly) truth is that there are no (reusable) tools that perform static analysis or code coverage for PowerBuilder projects so I was thinking to create a first release of the plugin with a minimal set of features ( basically those that already Sonar offers ).

I would be grateful if you could give me some tips about how to start.
- What Sonar extensions do I have to use?
- Do I have to create a new rules profile even if don't have any rules
- Anything else that might be useful!

Re: [sonar-dev] New Language - PowerBuilder

Fabrice Bellingard-4
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Papapetrou P.Patroklos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sonar devs

Hi Patroklos,

I am willing to create a plugin to cover PowerBuilder as a programming language.
The (ugly) truth is that there are no (reusable) tools that perform static analysis or code coverage for PowerBuilder projects so I was thinking to create a first release of the plugin with a minimal set of features ( basically those that already Sonar offers ).

I would be grateful if you could give me some tips about how to start.
- What Sonar extensions do I have to use?

It depends on what you want to put in your plugin. You can have a look at existing plugins in the forge, you will see what extensions they use (by looking at the class that implements SonarPlugin#getExtensions()).

My first question about that is: how will you write the parser for this new language? (for I guess that you want to provide at least the basic metrics)

- Do I have to create a new rules profile even if don't have any rules

Yes, you have to create one, even if it's an empty one.

- Anything else that might be useful!

Well, I know you're familiar with Sonar ecosystem, I'm pretty sure you know all the dev guidelines and the example plugins. So just feel free to head here and ask questions as they arise :-)

Re: [sonar-dev] New Language - PowerBuilder

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi Fabrice
Sorry for my late response and thanks for the valuable information :)
Reg. your question about the parser... I have NO idea!! :)
How are parsers implemented for other languages? ( rhetorical question - no need to answer )
I guess I will study some other plugins ( I was thinking to see Python and JavaScript for a start )
I am also curious how am I supposed to use SSLR...
All I know right know is that I have to look very carefully at the plugins I mentioned before ... ;)

2012/5/28 Fabrice Bellingard <[hidden email]>
[...]

d.cr
Hello

If of any help, I have developped a Powerbuilder plugin for Sonar, coupled to a more generic analyszer (multi language suite)

Are available :
- syntax analyzer (from ORCA source code extraction, according to V7 Ascii syntax)
- basic metrics and a few rules

Would be appreciated :
- adding a bunch of valuable rules
- evaluation on "real" projects

We can talk about a for of collaboration on PB particular topic

Thanks for your feed back

Didier

[...]

Best regards,

Fabrice BELLINGARD | SonarSource

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Papapetrou P.Patroklos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabrice
Sorry for my late response and thanks for the valuable information :)
Reg. your question about the parser... I have NO idea!! :)
How are parsers implemented for other languages? ( rhetorical question - no need to answer )

It depends, some rely on external tools (like PHP), some have implemented their own parser (like Web) and some rely on our newly open-sourced technology SSLR (like Javascript or C#).

I guess I will study some other plugins ( I was thinking to see Python and JavaScript for a start )
I am also curious how am I supposed to use SSLR...

Yes, looking at the Javascript plugin is certainly a very good idea as this is the most recent one, implemented with SSLR.

Good luck! :-)

[...]

Hi Didier
Sorry for not replying earlier... Didn't have much spare time for this plugin.
As I just mentioned, I was thinking to write the parser based on SSLR and after that adding some basic rules to release first version. If you'd like anything to share with me, It is more than welcome!!! :)