Quantcast

[sonar-dev] PHP 1.1 Sprint

12

Re: [sonar-dev] PHP 1.1 Sprint

Fabrice Bellingard-4
Great!
Thanks Sebastian,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Sebastian Marek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fabrice,

I am fine with. Let's go for it.

Regards

On 13 Jul 2012, at 10:37, Fabrice Bellingard wrote:

OK, so what we can do is to release the plugin as it currently is, and make sure that when phpunit-xml is deprecated within the next release(s), interfaces are properly handled through the summary-xml report type.

If you agree, I'll resolve your ticket with this comment, and will launch the vote.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Sebastian Marek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fabrice,

summary-xml report doesn't include interfaces details. phpunit-xml does. summary-xml report with a different metric - NOI - but it's only a number. And at the moment PHP plugin doesn't use it. I'll talk to Manual Pichler and see whether he is planning including interfaces details into the report.

Ta

On 13 Jul 2012, at 07:56, Fabrice Bellingard wrote:

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM, Sebastian Marek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fabrice,

I did compare the results, and as of now I think these are differences between the reports

[ ... SNIP ... ]

That basically means that phpunit xml report takes into account interfaces (and reports them as classes) while summary-xml don't. Previous versions of PHP Depend actually are buggier and include in phpunit xml file things that don't actually exists! Same thing is about number of methods and lines of code (the difference is regarding the methods and lines of code belonging to the interfaces that are not included in summary xml report)

OK, so if I understand correctly, for most metrics summary-xml gives better result, but the only drawback is that it does report on interfaces.

Well, there's nothing we can do on the plugin's side, right? (maybe just fill a bug request on PHPDepend) So I suggest that this is something that we document on the Wiki. And in this case, I think you can resolve your ticket and I'll launch the vote. WDYT?

Now I wonder how these interfaces should be really reported... How is it in JAVA? Are they treated as classes? Or ignored?

In Java (and in C# also), interfaces are treated like classes.

Regards

On 12 Jul 2012, at 10:54, Fabrice Bellingard wrote:

OK, fine. Here's the config I'm using for PHPCodeSniffer code for the sonar analysis (so that you can have the same as mine):
sonar.projectKey=net.php.pear.phpcodesniffer
sonar.projectName=PHP_CodeSniffer
sonar.projectVersion=1.3.6-SNAPSHOT
sources=CodeSniffer
tests=tests
sonar.language=php
sonar.profile=PEAR\ profile
sonar.php.file.suffixes=php
sonar.phpUnit.mainTestClass=tests/AllTests.php
  • Last version of PhpDepend

The differences are not big, but it's worth investigating.
In any case, this won't stop the release as the phpunit-xml format is still the default one.

Talk to you tomorrow,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Sebastian Marek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Fabrice,

I am aware of these differences. I know some of them are expected, since with the new report for example I am using ccn2 metric to report on complexity instead ccn. But these differences in number of lines, classes and methods do worry me. I will hopefully be able to have a look at these tonight.

Regards

On 11 Jul 2012, at 10:51, Fabrice Bellingard wrote:

Hi Sebastian,

I'm making some tests with the new summary-xml parser, and the results I get are different from the ones I have with phpunit-xml format. For instance, when analysing the PHP Code Sniffer project using summary-xml, the results give me:
  • -37 lines
  • -302 lines of code
  • -4 classes
  • -12 methods
Have you experienced the same differences? Is it because the summary-xml format is more precise than the other one?
I tried to find where the difference lies, but on such a big project this is not possible to compare the raw results as the formats are different (and I don't get difference on simple and small projects).

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Sebastian Marek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fabrice,

SONARPLUGINS-1330 - now closed, as this has been fixed in SONARPLUGINS-1711.

SONARPLUGINS-1351 - now finished, although I have a few questions/issues:

Not really happy with that. I am sure it is possible in Java as well. How do you approach this problem?

2. Since support for phpunit-xml is now deprecated, is it possible to mark an option in Sonar as deprecated? Like in UI, and the CLI when you run analysis?

3. Have you guys finally solved the problem with having multiple files with the same name in an analysed project?

I need to perform more testing on that, since I committed it last night, but the base functionality is there.

I apologise for some of the question are probably basic java programming practices, but I hope you understand since I don't have a lot of experience in Java, and it is a learning curve for me. I appreciate all the feedback and help.

Regards

On 8 Jul 2012, at 14:04, Fabrice Bellingard wrote:

Hi Sebastian!

I'm currently making some tests on the PHP plugin as I'd like to launch the vote within a couple of days. Can you give me an update on the issues you are working on, to know if these will be included in this release or the next one?
  • SONARPLUGINS-1330: you said the original problem got fixed, but the issue is still "in progress" => should it be set to resolved?
  • SONARPLUGINS-1351: if you don't have the time to finish it, we can postpone it to version 1.2

For the other issues that you have found, feel free to directly create JIRA tickets - as you're a member of the PHP team.

@Gabriele: I guess you haven't had the time to work on the issues that you assigned to yourself, so I leave them planned for version 1.2.

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Sebastian Marek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Fabrice, I thought I gave you an update, although I found no time so far to progress stuff further.

So, next week I am in Paris with my Software metrics talk at PHP Forum conference. So I have last few days to prepare. In the mean time I am preparing for SCJA certification. I think within 2 weeks I should be back on track.

SONARPLUGINS-1330 - original problem got fixed - this was this issue with missing default constructors
SONARPLUGINS-1351 - slowly cruising through, implemented gathering some basic metrics from the new file format, currently testing. Depending when you plan 1.1 to go out it might not be finished, although I am developing it in a way that won't affect current functionality.

I have found a few issues, but need to investigate further to give you some constructive feedback.

Regards

On 29 May 2012, at 11:30, Fabrice Bellingard wrote:

Hi guys,

no news from Sebastian nor Gabriele? Should I consider that you won't be able to participate in this version 1.1 sprint?

@Gennadiy: thanks for your fix on SONARPLUGINS-1650, I've successfully analysed SugarCRM (without PHPCodeSniffer or PHPMD though, as it would take too much time).

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Fabrice Bellingard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi PHP mates!

It's been quite some time since we discussed about the PHP plugin for the last time here. I'd like to plan the next release (1.1) for June. This sprint will also be the opportunity to migrate the sources from SVN to GitHub :-) (I can see your happy smile, Sebastian ;-))

@Sebastian: how far could you go with SONARPLUGINS-1351 and SONARPLUGINS-1330?
@Gabriele: will you participate in this sprint for the tickets that you assigned to you? (SONARPLUGINS-1530 & SONARPLUGINS-1507)
@both & others: do you see any other issues that should be included? do you want to push forward specific topics? any comments?

Hope to hear from you guys!