Quantcast

[sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

[sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

jbdundas
Hi guys,

I was wondering if we have a plugin that :-

1) measures the issues present at the architecture level of the project . For e.g. violations in Spring, Sruts, etc. If not, I was thinking of creating a plugin having all these rules.I have got this idea after comparing the No. of Rules present in parasoft-JTest and they seem to have about 1500 + rules which are quite good. if we add them here for Java, then that will really increase the quality of Sonar.
2) I am ready to start developing this plugin if I get a go ahead from th Sonar community on this. I will also need help in creating custom rules using PMD ( i think so).

We are trying to make Sonar ( which I think if really good) more acceptable/useful to users  having needs on measuring quality of the code at all levels.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

Dinesh Bolkensteyn-2
Hi Jitesh,

Currently there aren't much rules about specific frameworks such as Spring, Structs, etc... although we just started to have a few related to JUnit.
Clearly it would be really valuable to have more of them, and to cover more and more frameworks.

In fact, in order to enable us to write rules more easily, Sonar 3.3 comes with sonar-java: http://www.github.com/SonarSource/sonar-java
sonar-java is a Java parser based on SSLR (http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/SSLR) which is the technology behind our C, C#, COBOL, PL/SQL, PL/I, VB.NET, etc. plugins.

You should definitely give sonar-java a try to implement the framework specifc rules you are thinking (and not PMD).
sonar-java is what we will support and what we will push forward in the future.

It's great to dream of 1500+ rules, but I would suggest to start with a single one: pick an easy one.

If you have any question (for example relating to sonar-java or on how to implement your own rules using it), feel free to ask!

--
Dinesh Bolkensteyn
www.SonarSource.com

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phone - <a href="tel:732-357-6292" target="_blank" value="+17323576292">732-357-6292

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

Simon Brandhof
Hi Jitesh,

You should definitely give sonar-java a try to implement the framework specifc rules you are thinking (and not PMD).
sonar-java is what we will support and what we will push forward in the future.

I agree with Dinesh.
Contrary to Checkstyle and PMD, the Java engine based on SSLR is still not extended. It's not possible to implemented custom rules in a plugin. Meanwhile this support in next versions, the best solution is to patch sonar-java and to send us the git pull requests.

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

jbdundas
Thanks Simon & David. I will surely do that.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Simon Brandhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jitesh,

You should definitely give sonar-java a try to implement the framework specifc rules you are thinking (and not PMD).
sonar-java is what we will support and what we will push forward in the future.

I agree with Dinesh.
Contrary to Checkstyle and PMD, the Java engine based on SSLR is still not extended. It's not possible to implemented custom rules in a plugin. Meanwhile this support in next versions, the best solution is to patch sonar-java and to send us the git pull requests.

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

You have to :
Regards

On 9 November 2012 17:41, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Simon,

I am trying to set-up a sample rule and get the plugin to analyze it using this sonar-java utility. Can you give me a working example or a code sample using which I can understand the same and simulate the process.

Apologies but I am still new to all this.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Simon Brandhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jitesh,

You should definitely give sonar-java a try to implement the framework specifc rules you are thinking (and not PMD).
sonar-java is what we will support and what we will push forward in the future.

I agree with Dinesh.
Contrary to Checkstyle and PMD, the Java engine based on SSLR is still not extended. It's not possible to implemented custom rules in a plugin. Meanwhile this support in next versions, the best solution is to patch sonar-java and to send us the git pull requests.

Simon BRANDHOF | SonarSource

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

jbdundas
Hi Simon,

Thanks.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:41 AM, Simon Brandhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

You have to :
Regards

On 9 November 2012 17:41, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Simon,

I am trying to set-up a sample rule and get the plugin to analyze it using this sonar-java utility. Can you give me a working example or a code sample using which I can understand the same and simulate the process.

Apologies but I am still new to all this.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - <a href="tel:732-357-6292" value="+17323576292" target="_blank">732-357-6292

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Simon Brandhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jitesh,

You should definitely give sonar-java a try to implement the framework specifc rules you are thinking (and not PMD).
sonar-java is what we will support and what we will push forward in the future.

I agree with Dinesh.
Contrary to Checkstyle and PMD, the Java engine based on SSLR is still not extended. It's not possible to implemented custom rules in a plugin. Meanwhile this support in next versions, the best solution is to patch sonar-java and to send us the git pull requests.

Simon BRANDHOF | SonarSource

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

jbdundas
Hi Simon,

I added a new rule for "Transient variable is not allowed in method signatures" ( It is a dummy rule so please ignore the rule details for now )
http://www.coderanch.com/t/411655/java/java/Transient-Methods

If a signature has a transient keyword, then the rule will throw a violation.

Issue:-

I am able to add the rule ( without test of course because there are more files that come up for modification) and then compile sonar-java ( mvn clean install -Dmaven.tests.skip=true ) but after that when I try to do the same for sonar, it keeps giving me this error.

Can you help me out on this. Both the projects are from the trunk of Sonarsource as per the path of the repositories given earlier.

[...]

sonar-java-error-12Nov2012.txt (23K) Download Attachment
CheckList.java (2K) Download Attachment
sonar-java-error-12Nov2012.txt (23K) Download Attachment

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Architecture Rules Plugin

jbdundas
Hi Simon,

I have the builds done for both of them. However, I am not sure of how to get the new rule to run. Do I have to make sonar-java as a part of the sonar source code and then follow the steps.

Sorry but I this is new to me .

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Simon Brandhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the late answer, I'm back from devoxx.
The new rule should appear in the console of Quality profiles. You just have to activate it.

Simon

On 13 November 2012 00:37, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Asking a basic question but can you give me the steps to activate it ?

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:32 AM, Simon Brandhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ann Campbell
Configuration -> [click on profile name]
In the search interface at the top, pick 'inactive' & search.
Find your rule & click the checkbox next to it. Voila

---

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ann. That simple :)

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292