Quantcast

[sonar-dev] Sonar Plugin Development

jbdundas
Dear Sonar Team,

I would like to start developing plugins for Sonar. However, my skills are in Java and thus I would like to know if it is possible for me to contribute to this wonderful efforts of yours.

Is there any plugin where I can start working?

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Plugin Development

Fabrice Bellingard-4
Hi Jitesh,

We're always glad to see people wanting to help, and Java is one of the main skills required to develop Sonar plugin.

Concerning your question, you're the only one who has the answer. Contributing to an open-source project is most generally done for 2 reasons:
- either you're using this project for your daily job, and you want to help fixing bugs faster or develop new features (for plugins for instance in our case)
- or you want to do that during your free-time, and we can't tell you what to do: you must find things that please you. Most probably, you would start fixing some bugs on existing plugins you already know quite well, or you create a new plugin because you feel it could be valuable.
In both cases, you should be able to know on which part of the project you want to contribute.

What's your background? For how long have you been using Sonar?

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Sonar Team,

I would like to start developing plugins for Sonar. However, my skills are in Java and thus I would like to know if it is possible for me to contribute to this wonderful efforts of yours.

Is there any plugin where I can start working?

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - <a href="tel:732-357-6292" value="+17323576292" target="_blank">732-357-6292

Re: [sonar-dev] Sonar Plugin Development

jbdundas
Hi Fabrice,

I have been using Sonar for the last 1 year or so but I confess that I started doing that due to office work where they are using it. However, I find the code very interesting and I would love to move forward on it.

I am interested in something that relates to single-sign,analysis,measurement metrics on as a plugin. However, I would like to take some bug fixes first and then gradually move forward on them.

Can you suggest a point to start on them?

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Fabrice Bellingard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I wanted to start fixing defects and test some of the code/functionality of Sonar. Once I am hands-on with the code, I can pick up with any of the open-source plugins that are under development and which could use my skills.

Can you tell me how I go ahead with this? Should I look into JIRA to check the open defects.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabrice,

I wanted to start fixing defects and test some of the code/functionality of Sonar. Once I am hands-on with the code, I can pick up with any of the open-source plugins that are under development and which could use my skills.

Can you tell me how I go ahead with this? Should I look into JIRA to check the open defects.

Well, the best way for you to start getting involved is to pick one plugin, look at JIRA issues you'd like to fix and provide patches / pull requests for them. Obviously, you should conform to all the development guidelines (your code should be unit-tested, correctly formatted, it should not contain violations, ...etc) - which we'll check when looking at your contributions.

Feel free to tell us on which plugin you'd like to contribute.

[...]

After a long thought, I think I have decided to move forward in contributing to the CAS plugin ( http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/CAS+Plugin  ) .

Please give me directions on how to move forward onto them.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Fabrice Bellingard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This is a quite funny choise, because:
You can test it and give your vote at http://markmail.org/message/daqnol6muntlv2c2 , which actually can be the last one to proceed with release ;)
And I'm not sure that possible to add something else into this plugin right now.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Evgeny for the update. I wanted to pick the easiest one and then slowly move forward and work on other plugins based on that :)

If you have a better choice where I contribute, please let me know about the same.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Patroklos Papapetrou
+1 for Evgeny's idea
This plugin needs to be updated because the SIG model definition is also recently updated :)

2012/9/21 Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hi Evgeny,

Thanks . I will start on this one..

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - 732-357-6292

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Can you please tell me how do start on this one? is there a JIRA ticket that I should take up ?

[...]

Smith, Larry (ECS - Enterprise Cloud Service)

Hello,

Are there any plans to add new Maven archetypes for V3?

Both of these existing ones are using mostly deprecated methods based on 2.11 and below.

406: remote -> org.codehaus.sonar.archetypes:sonar-basic-plugin-archetype (Maven archetype to create a basic Sonar plugin)

407: remote -> org.codehaus.sonar.archetypes:sonar-gwt-plugin-archetype (Maven archetype to create a Sonar plugin including GWT pages)

Or is there a version 3 based plugin from which to copy?

Larry Smith

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM, jitesh dundas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Evgeny,

Can you please tell me how do start on this one? is there a JIRA ticket that I should take up ?

Thanks & Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

Phone - <a href="tel:732-357-6292" target="_blank">732-357-6292

Thanks Evgeny.

Larry Smith