Quantcast

[sonar-dev] [VOTE] First Release of Sonar Thucydides Plugin

[sonar-dev] [VOTE] First Release of Sonar Thucydides Plugin

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi Sonar devs

I'd like to call for a vote on the first release of the Sonar Thucydides Plugin, which adds a new widget for Thycudides Web Testing tool with 8 basic metrics. Plugin is compatible with Sonar 2.8 or later and more information you can find in (1) as well as instructions for testing the plugin.
You can download the snapshot using the link at (2).

Vote will be, as usual, open for 72 hours.

I am really excited about that plugin and I'm looking forward for your feedback

[sonar-dev] Re: [VOTE] First Release of Sonar Thucydides Plugin

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi guys

Anyone on this?
Should I vote for my self? ;)
Should I close the vote? There is no lazy consensus for the first release so I need three +1s ... It seems like a mountain to climb!!! :)

Patroklos

2012/5/30 Papapetrou P.Patroklos <[hidden email]>
Hi Sonar devs

I'd like to call for a vote on the first release of the Sonar Thucydides Plugin, which adds a new widget for Thycudides Web Testing tool with 8 basic metrics. Plugin is compatible with Sonar 2.8 or later and more information you can find in (1) as well as instructions for testing the plugin.
You can download the snapshot using the link at (2).

Vote will be, as usual, open for 72 hours.

I am really excited about that plugin and I'm looking forward for your feedback

Re: [sonar-dev] Re: [VOTE] First Release of Sonar Thucydides Plugin

David Racodon-2
Hi Patroklos,

To be honest, I've never used and even never heard of Thucydides before.
I gave a try at your sample project. It works fine as I get results displayed in the Thucydides widget.

So based on this sample project, you get my +1.

On 2 June 2012 13:38, Papapetrou P.Patroklos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot David
Thucydides is a project developed the last 4-6 months by John Smart... and it aims to easily write acceptance tests just like Unit tests :) I really love it! You should give it a try!!
I suppose I have to advertise it more : )
Patroklos

2012/6/3 David Racodon <[hidden email]>
[...]

Indeed it seems to be a valuable project. I never used it but it reminds me Greenpepper.

Tests with your sample project work fine, so +1. Here are some feedbacks based on my code review :
  • The demo rar should be packaged into the plugin artifact.
  • Calls to System.out.println() should be replaced by SLF4F
  • Why is it limited to Java projects ? (see ThucydidesSensor#shouldExecuteOnProject())
  • Minor: call to setOptimizedBestValue() in ThucydidesMetrics can be removed because this property is applied on files, not on projects.
  • The path to XML report should be configurable in order to support non-maven projects (see ThucydidesSensor#analyse()) - this is an improvement for next releases !
Else this is a great codebase. Good job !

Regards
Simon

[...]

Thanks a lot Simon!
Some comments inline

2012/6/4 Simon Brandhof <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I suppose I have to advertise it more : )

Indeed it seems to be a valuable project. I never used it but it reminds me Greenpepper.

Tests with your sample project work fine, so +1. Here are some feedbacks based on my code review :
  • The demo rar should be packaged into the plugin artifact. How am I supposed to do that? Forgive my ignorance :(
  • Calls to System.out.println() should be replaced by SLF4F
  • Why is it limited to Java projects ? (see ThucydidesSensor#shouldExecuteOnProject()) Actually it should be limited only for projects that create applications accessed with a browser. I mean it doesn't make any sense for a Delphi or PL/SQL project. So should I remove this limitation or list other languages too?
  • Minor: call to setOptimizedBestValue() in ThucydidesMetrics can be removed because this property is applied on files, not on projects.
  • The path to XML report should be configurable in order to support non-maven projects (see ThucydidesSensor#analyse()) - this is an improvement for next releases !
Else this is a great codebase. Good job ! Thanks

[...]

Simon Brandhof
  • The demo rar should be packaged into the plugin artifact. How am I supposed to do that? Forgive my ignorance :(
Simply move it outside src/main

  • Why is it limited to Java projects ? (see ThucydidesSensor#shouldExecuteOnProject()) Actually it should be limited only for projects that create applications accessed with a browser. I mean it doesn't make any sense for a Delphi or PL/SQL project. So should I remove this limitation or list other languages too?
Not sure you will get new friends if you say that only Java can master webapps :D
Checking the existence of the XML report should be enough.

Re: [sonar-dev] Re: [VOTE] First Release of Sonar Thucydides Plugin

Ann Campbell
I was silly enough to try this on a random project w/out the proper tests (any tests) first. Got an analysis error:
Embedded error: Measure value can not be NaN

You should probably have politely ignored me to "move along" instead. :-)

Once I tried the sample project (Wow! I haven't seen ascii art in ages!) it worked well enough.

I only got 50% Thucydides success, but you planned that, right?

+1

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Simon Brandhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
  • The demo rar should be packaged into the plugin artifact. How am I supposed to do that? Forgive my ignorance :(
Simply move it outside src/main

  • Why is it limited to Java projects ? (see ThucydidesSensor#shouldExecuteOnProject()) Actually it should be limited only for projects that create applications accessed with a browser. I mean it doesn't make any sense for a Delphi or PL/SQL project. So should I remove this limitation or list other languages too?
Not sure you will get new friends if you say that only Java can master webapps :D
Checking the existence of the XML report should be enough.

Re: [sonar-dev] Re: [VOTE] First Release of Sonar Thucydides Plugin

Patroklos Papapetrou
Thanks a lot Ann for the Vote and testing!

Actually the plugin doesn't check for tests. It only looks for the xml files produced by Thucydides itself :).
Could you send me the first project you tried to analyze? And which steps you followed?
Just to be sure that I haven't missed anything.
Sample project has intentionally failures and ignored tests to see in action all metrics. :)
And yes... ascii art is really amazing during thucydides maven plugin execution!!

Thanks again!
Patroklos

2012/6/6 Ann Campbell <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hi to all,

The vote has passed with the following result:
+1 : David Racodon, Simon Brandhof and Ann Campbell

I will continue with the release as soon as I make some modifications based on Simon's feedback. Thanks a lot to all voters who spent some time on testing the plugin!