Quantcast

[sonar-dev] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

[sonar-dev] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

Evgeny Mandrikov
Hi guys,

I'd like to release Sonar JavaScript Plugin version 1.0.

This plugin enables analysis of JavaScript projects into Sonar.

This version is fully based on SSLR ( https://github.com/SonarSource/sslr ) for parsing and analysis, thus dependencies on ANTLR and JLint were removed.

36 issues have been solved
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONARPLUGINS/fixforversion/18248

There are still a couple of issues left

Release early, release often!

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

David Racodon-2
Hi Evgeny,

Very good job: analysis is quite fast and, as Freddy has already said, I love the detailed descriptions of the rules.
You get my +1.

You'll find below some minor issues I detected:
  •  Rule title in the list box: &quot;
Inline images 1

  • A corner case I think for dead code detection:
Inline images 2

  • Number of lines: Sonar is right by counting 143 lines but the 143rd empty line is not displayed in the source code below
Inline images 3

Thank you

On 1 June 2012 10:52, Freddy Mallet <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1, all rules have some pretty good description and example :)

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Fabrice Bellingard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Successfully tested, so +1 and congrats for this release!

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

I'd like to release Sonar JavaScript Plugin version 1.0.

This plugin enables analysis of JavaScript projects into Sonar.

This version is fully based on SSLR ( https://github.com/SonarSource/sslr ) for parsing and analysis, thus dependencies on ANTLR and JLint were removed.

36 issues have been solved
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONARPLUGINS/fixforversion/18248

There are still a couple of issues left

Release early, release often!

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

Alexandre Victoor-2
+1
Tested on legacy js code successfully

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM, David Racodon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback. See my comments below :

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM, David Racodon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Evgeny,

Very good job: analysis is quite fast and, as Freddy has already said, I love the detailed descriptions of the rules.
You get my +1.

You'll find below some minor issues I detected:
  •  Rule title in the list box: &quot;
Inline images 1

 I believe that issue on Sonar side and thus will happen for other plugins. So most probably you should create Jira ticket.
  • A corner case I think for dead code detection:
Inline images 2

Indeed this seems like a corner case. But from my point of view we should not improve detection for this case, because this is a very strange case: declaration of function is part of list of statements. And we have another rule to detect this, because "while most script engines support Function Declarations within blocks it is not part of ECMAScript".
  • Number of lines: Sonar is right by counting 143 lines but the 143rd empty line is not displayed in the source code below
Inline images 3

Currently I observe same behaviour in Flex plugin. And this makes me feel that in fact Sonar correctly displays lines, whereas SSLR incorrectly counts them in case when file ends with EOL. I don't think that this is blocker for release. So I'll put this into my TODO list for future investigations.

[...]

Dinesh Bolkensteyn-2
The line bug is in Sonar.

I have a PL/SQL of 11 lines (as shown in Notepad++), the Sonar PL/SQL plugin properly displays 11 lines.

However the resource viewer only shows 10 lines.

--
Dinesh Bolkensteyn
www.SonarSource.com

test.sql (140 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

Dinesh Bolkensteyn-2
By "the Sonar PL/SQL plugin" I mean the "line" metric in the resource viewer:

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Dinesh Bolkensteyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ticket created for the &quot; issue on Sonar:  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-3550.
Ok for point 2, user will flag the corner case as a false-positive.
I'll let you investigate for the number of lines issue.

Thank you

On 5 June 2012 07:31, Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

[sonar-dev] [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

The vote has passed with the following result:
+1 : Alexandre Victoor, David Racodon, Freddy Mallet, Fabrice Bellingard

I will continue with the release. Thanks to the voters to help get this out!

Re: [sonar-dev] [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

deepshah
I wanted source code of javascript plugin 1.0.. Kindly let me know from where could I get that?

Re: [sonar-dev] [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

Vincent Latombe

I know it's a bit late, but I've tested this new 1.0 version on one of the javascript project that I monitor, and I get a lexer error which was not occuring before with 0.4.

Caused by: com.sonar.sslr.impl.LexerException: Unable to lex source code at line : 242 and column : 65 in file : file:[...]/Date.js
	at com.sonar.sslr.impl.Lexer.lex(Lexer.java:140)
	at com.sonar.sslr.impl.Lexer.lex(Lexer.java:95)
	... 43 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: None of the channel has been able to handle character '\' (decimal value 92) at line 242, column 65
	at org.sonar.channel.ChannelDispatcher.consume(ChannelDispatcher.java:87)
	at com.sonar.sslr.impl.Lexer.lex(Lexer.java:126)
	... 44 more
The faulty line seems to be :
 this._interpret_time_remove_unwantedCharacters = /[^\\h;m,.\-:/\d]+/gi;

Vincent

2012/6/5 Evgeny Mandrikov <[hidden email]>
Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result:
+1 : Alexandre Victoor, David Racodon, Freddy Mallet, Fabrice Bellingard

I will continue with the release. Thanks to the voters to help get this out!

Re: [sonar-dev] [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Sonar JavaScript Plugin 1.0

Evgeny Mandrikov
Hi Vincent,

In version 1.0 we completely replaced parsing/lexing technology, so it might be not very accurate in some corner-cases like this one. However indeed - it's too late for this release. So I created ticket SONARPLUGINS-1949 for next version. In the meantime to workaround this issue you can escape forward slash character "/" in your code as:  this._interpret_time_remove_unwantedCharacters = /[^\\h;m,.\-:\/\d]+/gi;
Is it acceptable for you? Let us know if this helped.

And anyway thanks for feedback.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Vincent Latombe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

[...]

Curtis Olson
Also seeing same "None of the channel has bee able to handle character" error with character '»' (decimal value 187).  This is Hex value BB, the first few bytes of the offending files always have the bytes (in Hex) EF BB BF, which are not visible in the editor (Visual Studio), and can't be escaped.